Sunday, November 17, 2013

MY "The Best Man" TRUE STORY

TRUE STORY (And one of my favorites):
One late night, my cousin and I dressed up and went to a night club that was known to be a celebrity hot spot. While we were there, all night, we were dancing and mingling with the famous and familiar. A well known actor took a serious liking to my beautiful cousin. As a result, we were invited to the red-carpet movie premier and after party for, get this, THE BEST MAN.

We could not attend the movie premier, because she had to work, so we went straight to the after party. Very few had arrived early. So we sat on a sofa positioned behind a coffee table. On the other side of the table, was another sofa. Two young, chic, beautiful black women, much like ourselves approached and sat on that sofa. The way we looked, we could've all been part of the same girlfriend crew or even related.

I leaned over and said, "Hi!"
One of the young women looked at me and said, "Hi! Are you in the business?"
I smiled and said, "No."
She grimaced, turned her whole body to the side, put up "the hand," and ignored me, by engaging her friend in conversation, "Anyway! Blah, blah, blah, blah...."


My cousin and I looked at each other and shook our heads. When her actor friend enters the club, he found us. And, all night long and as if we were royalty, he graciously introduced us both (by name) to the entire cast of the movie and the who's who of Black Hollywood.

After her gracious friend, stepped away to bring us drinks, the young woman I had spoken to NOW humbly asked, "Ya'll know them?"

NOW, as if on cue, my cousin and I both said, "Yeah! Anyway...." And those words were punctuated by the very same body language she had given us earlier. Rolling neck, pursed lips, talk-to-the-hand gesture and all.

 
We never encountered that actor or his friends again, except for on television, but for me, that moment was as priceless as a MasterCard.

No comments: