1. Buy the Book. Whether you purchase an author’s book at a book fair or BUY through their website (instead of online retailers), the author retains a greater percentage of the purchase price. If you see their books in a bookstore, purchasing there could potentially add to the longevity of both your favorite indie author and that traditional “brick and mortar” bookstore.
2. Tell Friends. Word of mouth buzz sparks other readers to purchase copies. If you like a book, don’t be shy! Recommend it to others.
3. Write a Review. Readers check the Amazon site to gauge an author’s performance. No one wants to waste money on a book that is poorly written. If you have enjoyed a book, let other readers know and tell them why. Leaving a review on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, GoodReads, Shelfari, only takes a moment. And be sure to email or message the author to let them know.
4. Join and Support Authors across Social Media. Indie authors typically do not have a staff assisting them. Many are on such sites as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, GoodReads, Shelfari, Pinterest, SheWrites, Blogger, YouTube. Connect with them. COMMENT, LIKE, and SHARE their posts. And share your excitement! Instagram or Tweet a photo of you and their book.
5. Request a Book at Your Local Public Library. A public library is more than happy to order a number of books (budget permitting).
6. Recommend it to Your Book Club. And if your book club has more than a few members, an indie author may be open to attending and/or reading at your book club meeting.
7. Host a Book Party. Be it in your own home or a community event, gathering of readers, refreshments, and an invited author reading excerpts, selling books and signing copies would be a great way to spend a few hours.
8. Invite an Author to Speak for your University, Company, Alumni or Professional Association or Holiday Event. This could expose your favorite author to a larger audience and bulk sales, especially if the organization is willing to gift attendees with a copy of their book.
9. Gift Book Lovers a Copy of their Book. If your friend is a book lover, it may even be possible to have a print copy autographed and personalized for them.
10. Feature independent authors in your newsletter or blog. If you blog or podcast, write for a newsletter, or other medium...spread the love!
Follow me, Eartha Watts Hicks, on FaceBook, GoodReads, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram @Earthatone and if you find this information helpful in any way, be sure to purchase my novel, LOVE CHANGES, just for good measure.
Visit earthatone.com or purchase from Amazon www.tinyurl.com/LoveChangesNovel