Saturday, December 7, 2013

How do you end a novel? Remember to stick the landing!

My least favorite aspect of writing a novel is crafting the ending. Writing an ending to a novel, one must tie up ALL loose ends, leave no plotline hanging and make it so gratifying that it is worth the many hours, days, weeks the reader will invest in your book. This is the moment we've all been waiting for.

I liken this part of the writing experience to that of being a gymnast. I can jump on the uneven bars, switch from rung to rung, launch myself high, and do a mid air, black-flipped-triple-decker-summersault with a twist, but if I do not stick the landing, I have robbed my reader.

My first draft of Love Changes made some very sweet sisters curse aloud. So, it was painfully necessary to go back to the drawing board. I re-did the ending and did everything in my power to put my foot it in. Those of you who read LOVE CHANGES, please let me know. In your opinion, did I stick the landing?

No comments: