Thursday, June 12, 2014

Just R.E.A.D. - Eartha Watts Hicks

     I wrote my novel, Love Changes, quite a few years ago. But I wanted to make the work literary. Urban, but with literary devices that could be dissected, analyzed, discussed and studied like works of Alice Walker, J.D. Salinger, Toni Morrison, and Franz Kafka. And then I wanted to include my poetry and the actual song lyrics from some of my favorite songs. I was advised not to do a lot of that...especially including the song lyrics and poetry. But I was driven by my passion for the work and the desire to see it exist...the way I would do it.
 
     Tomorrow, June 13th, will be the one year anniversary of the day I received the Just R.E.A.D. Award for fiction from the NYCHA branch of the NAACP. This organization deserves our support. To support this organization with volunteerism or a donation, reply by email to nychabranch@gmail.com

No comments: